2018 BLS LMI Directors’ Conference
State Day Presentations
Tuesday, May 22, 2018
American Community Survey data has been used by many states to describe worker characteristics, support WIOA annual plans, and answer many other questions that LMI shops are asked. This session provides examples of state products based on ACS data and shows some tools that can help states navigate the data.
- Census Factfinder and Power BI – Chet Chinsky (NJ)
- Customizing American Community Survey Data Through IPUMS.ORG On-line Analysis System – Steve Hine (MN)
- Using ACS for Tribal Demographic and Employment Data – Rachel Moskowitz (NM)
- Insights for Workforce Development from American Community Survey (ACS) Data – Jason Palmer (MI)
PMP Update from Ken Poole, Center for Regional Economic Competitiveness
Mathew Barewicz (VT), current member of the Workforce Information Advisory Council (WIAC), provides an update on the progress of the WIAC. Mat will discuss the composition of the WIAC, the charge, the process and the recommendations the WIAC will be making to the Secretary of Labor to improve the LMI system. See his presentation here — WIAC_Barewicz.
Enhancement of Wage Records has been a crucial method states have used to expand their product base. We’ll look at some states’ experiences with adding information to their wage records and the value they can add.
- Alaska’s Enhanced Wage Records – Dan Robinson (AK)
- Nebraska’s Experience so Far or Be Careful What You Ask For!?#% — Phil Baker (NE)
Education and Workforce Alignment continues to challenge LMI shops. This session presents some state methods and products that try to crack that nut.
- Measuring Education – Workforce Alignment: An Alternative Approach – Steve Hine (MN)
- Rapid Re-Employment in VA – Tim Kestner (VA)
- North Carolina Education and Workforce Products, Services & Collaborations – Betty McGrath (NC)
Data visualizations are a common way of presenting complex patterns in our data in easy-to-comprehend ways. See how various states are using Tableau to create displays that help customers understand LMI and also to streamline processes leading to significant cost savings.
- The Tableau Experience in Idaho – Salvadore Vazquez (ID)
- Using Tableau as a Cost Saving Tool: the MT Experience (online demo) – Annette Miller (MT)